If you want to make an original gift for a friend or family member, without having to make a significant financial outlay for it, you should know that there are many options to surprise another person; and one of them is resorting to different crafts that you can carry out taking advantage of objects that a priori you are not going to give them any use.
On this occasion we bring you an original idea that you can make and that will allow you to reuse materials that we all have at home, such as cardboard boxes and toilet paper rolls.
Even if you wonder what can be done with them, the answer is very easy, an original portrait frame in which you can place the photos that can awaken the most illusion or feeling in the other person.
Without a doubt, it is a craft that is a detail that the other person will surely know how to value and will greatly appreciate. It will have a great sentimental value and, in addition, you will use recycled materials, with the benefit that this always entails for the planet.
Instructions to make a letter from cardboard and toilet paper tubes
The idea of this craft is to make a cardboard letter that is thick enough to be able to stand up, and has enough width and height to be able to paste photographs. Here we explain what you must do to create yours, step by step:
- First of all, you must decide on the design, shape and size of the font. It’s important that you do this before you print any images, as you’ll need to make sure they will fit on the letter. The recommended thing, logically, is that you do the craft with the letter of the initial of that person’s name.
- Next you have to cut the cardboard according to the measurements and the design you want for your letter. Regardless of the shape and size you choose, you will need to cut two equal pieces, one for the front and one for the back of the letter.
- Then you need to cut a long piece of cardboard that is the width of the letter, which will be the piece you use for the sides of the letter. It is important that you do it with the channel wide, especially in the letters in which you have to give it curvature, such as the «O».
- The next step, to give the piece greater resistance, you should start using empty toilet paper tubes or rolls. You must paste them on one of the faces of the letter that you have previously cut out. However, before doing so, cut them to the size of the depth you want to give your letter, with the same measurement as the previous piece of lateral cardboard. of the letter. The second is the most recommended if you want it to have the greatest possible resistance.
- Next, once you have glued all the tubes, it is time to glue the long piece both outside and inside the letter (in the event that it is a letter with an interior hole to be covered). This piece should be glued around the edge of the cardboard base. When you finish covering the entire piece, glue the joint to avoid gaps.
- Once the above is done, you will only have to glue the other piece of cardboard in the shape of the letter on top of the tubes. In this way you will already have your cardboard letter created, and we will only have to decorate it.
- The next step is to cover and decorate the letter, for which you can use all kinds of materials you want, whether decorative paper, EVA foam, fabric scraps…, as well as being able to place ribbons, strings, pearls, glitter or any another decorative element. Likewise, you can also paint the cardboard using water-based paint or enamel. One option is to use napkins, since there are very nice models that you can easily stick to cardboard with white glue. To stick it you will have to dilute the glue or white glue a little with a little water; cover the letter; and then paste the napkin all over the surface.
- When you have done all of the above you will have a letter almost ready to give away or decorate your home. Now you only need the final step, which is to paste on it photos that you like or that are representative of your relationship. Being a 3D letter you will have a lot of space to make interesting compositions. However, it is recommended that you do not overdo the photographs and find a way to make them fit so that the result is perfect.
What do you need to make a cardboard letter and toilet paper tubes?
To create this craft, you will need a series of materials that will be very easy to obtain and that, in many cases, you will already have in your home:
- Thick single channel cardboard
- toilet paper cardboard rolls
- White glue or glue
- Masking tape
- hot silicone
- Paper napkins (to decorate)
- Photographs companies on paper (to decorate)