After talking about how to make pots with bottles and how to make recycled pots, it’s time for you to know how to make tall pots step by step. There are different ways to make flowerpots at home, so if you are a gardening enthusiast or simply want to know how to create and decorate flowerpots to decorate rooms in your home, you will know how to do it.
To begin with, you should keep in mind that you do not need many materials and, although the process may seem a bit long, the reality is that it will not be complicated.
Step-by-step instructions for making tall planters
Once you have all the necessary materials for it, it is time for you to know how to make tall planters step by step. Follow these instructions to do so:
- First of all, you must prepare all the materials, before starting to create the planter. Start by preparing the mold you have chosen to create it; and once you prepare the molds, you must cover them with cooking oil, impregnating them with an appropriate amount in each of them. This will prevent the cement from sticking and will make it easier to remove them.
- It is also important that the PVC pipes are arranged to create drainage in the pot, they must be at least 5 centimeters.
- To start with the creation of the planters you must put on your gloves and have a large and appropriate container to be able to make the cement mixture. You must make a consistent mixture but not too liquid. Go adding the water little by little to achieve the appropriate consistency.
- When you have the mixture ready, it is time to start pouring the cement into the largest mold. When you finish you will have to fries the walls of the mold with tools, in addition to placing the PVC pipes for drainage at the base. These should have a distance between them of about 7-8 centimeters. You should check that the base of the pot is thicker than the walls and that the cement does not cover the PVC drainage pipes.
- Next you must place the small mold inside the larger one and press down on the cement mix very carefully. Do it until the small mold is on top of the mentioned PVC pipes.
- Once the above is done, it will be time to add the rest of the cement mixture to the mold. Make use of the spatula to carefully mold until it is smooth and you get the result you expected.
- When you have done all of the above, it will be time to start the process of removing the molds from the planter. To do this you must wait 24 hours, although sometimes it is advisable to leave several days to dry to ensure that it is completely dry.
- Proceed to remove the mold, for which you will have to give small blows until it comes out. If it doesn’t, you’ll probably have to break the mold carefully. If the cement isn’t completely dry when you remove the small mold, it’s best to let it sit for a while. When removing the large mold, you must make sure that the planter is in good condition.
- Proceed to wash the pot well with water, thus serving to remove any excess and make it completely clean.
- For decoration, there are those who use different stones during the molding process, a result that can be seen in the final result, after washing the pot. However, you can also decorate it later with the materials you want, the only limit being your own creativity.
As you can see, knowing how to make tall flower pots step by step is much simpler than it may seem. However, it is not a process that will take you a few minutes. Although it is a long process, it is possible to make different styles and molds, so you can customize your garden or terrace to your liking. In addition, they may be quality planters that can last a long time, unlike what happens with others that are purchased that are of low quality.
When creating the flowerpots, you can choose different types of molds to find those that best fit what you are looking for, being able to create several flowerpots so that they can be combined with each other, with different sizes and thicknesses; and later placing all kinds of plants inside.
What do you need to make tall planters step by step?
To make your tall planters you need the following materials:
- Bag of cement or concrete
- Gloves for handling cement
- Two molds, which can be made of plastic, glass, stainless steel, cardboard… It is important that one is smaller than the other to create the inner part of the pot.
- Cooking oil to spread the molds and make it easier to remove them at the end of the process.
- Cold water
- Spatula and tools to mold the cement
- Small PVC pipe to make the drainage holes